Brazil’s all-time leading scorer, Neymar, has pushed back against criticism regarding his fitness, emphasizing the years of challenges he faced while recovering from serious injuries. The 34-year-old Santos forward insists he has done enough to secure a spot in Brazil’s FIFA World Cup squad.
Neymar has not played for Brazil since 2023 due to injuries that required knee surgery, sidelining him for nearly a year. After Santos’ 3-0 loss to Coritiba on Sunday, he told reporters that his physical condition is improving with each match and that he has been working diligently behind the scenes to regain full fitness.
“Physically, I feel great. I’ve been getting better with every game,” Neymar stated. “I’ve given my absolute best – it hasn’t been easy. It’s been years of intense effort, alongside a lot of unfounded criticism about my condition and what I was doing.”
The Brazilian star described the criticism during his recovery as painful but said he persevered quietly with his rehabilitation despite doubts about his health. “I worked hard, quietly, at home, enduring the negativity, and it all paid off,” he added. “I’ve reached the point I wanted to be at, fully intact. I’m satisfied with my performance and everything I’ve accomplished so far.”
In a significant development, Brazil’s coach Carlo Ancelotti has previously stated that Neymar would only be considered for the World Cup squad if he is fully fit and consistently performing. Neymar expressed respect for whatever decision Ancelotti makes when selecting the final 26-man roster.
“Whatever happens, Ancelotti will surely pick the 26 best players for this challenge,” Neymar remarked.
Meanwhile, during Sunday’s match, Neymar was involved in a tense moment after being mistakenly substituted, which visibly frustrated him on the sidelines. This incident occurred just hours before Ancelotti was set to announce Brazil’s World Cup squad.
Brazil, aiming to win a record-extending sixth FIFA World Cup title, has been drawn into Group C alongside Morocco, Haiti, and Scotland. The tournament is scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 across North America.